Town and Country shopping center is a diverse strip mall with businesses from around Asia and Africa.
1. Mediterranean Island is a large grocery store operated by Jordanian brothers. It has products from around the Mediterranean, a deli, and a small eating area. Keith was an owner I met whom I hope to interview in the future
2. Chin Hills is a small Burmese store opearated by Lal and his wife, who was too shy to tell me her name. She was managing the store the day I stopped by and was carrying her baby.
3. Mithu Lankan Cuisine is an Indian / Sri Lankan restaurant. The owner is interested in being interviewed.
4. Gursha Ethiopan Restaurant is operated by owner Cana.
5. Zuah Pharmacy is a pharmacy operated by Liberian pharmacist Roberson and has been in this location for 6 years. By accident, I had recently transmitted a prescription to this pharmacy from a Senegalese patient and the pharmacist needed to clarify the prescription. He suddenly let down his guard when he found out I was not trying to sell him something.
6. Everest Marketplace is a grocery store operated by a Nepalese family.
7 Fatima African Hair Braiding specializes in Senegalese Hair braiding. The owner, Mariam, was very busy when I dropped in and I will return to learn more.
8 Thai Express is a restaurant operated by Ging. She was interested in being interviewed at a later time. I've eaten there several times and will attest to excellent Thai food. The restaurant is decorated with many photos of scenes from around Thailand.
9. Hornbill Asian Grocery offers many products from Thailand and Burma. I spoke with the owner, Mang Pau.
10. Kareem Organics is both a store offering organic oils, lotions, soaps and essences from the Middle East, as well as a tutoring location for children of immigrants. The owner, Mayra Cabrera is burqa-wearing Muslim woman originally from Puerto Rico, who moved to Egypt, Pennsylvania and Grand Rapids after hurricane Hugo. She is an educator who speaks three languages.